Thursday 18 March 2010

The sin of "very red"












After reading Chris's account over at In My View - http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/2010/03/internet-discussions.html
I was recently engaged in a debate on another forum concerning the reds produced by the Samsung NX10. I was informed that with regards to the samples I posted here:- http://soundimageplus.blogspot.com/2010/03/30mm-f2-pancake-lens-on-samsung-nx10.html:-

"any shot with red shows the reds are overexposed - leading to complete blotching out of detail in the highlights."

"The reds are definitely blown"

"We are just saying that red objects appear very red, in the same way that a wedding dress in sunlight would appear very white - and if you wanted to bring back some of that detail in an over-exposed shot, then well you can't."

Histograms were duly produced to prove the error of my ways. I had committed the unforgivable sin of my reds appearing "very red" and furthermore I was told off because I am unable to "bring back some of that detail in an over-exposed shot"

I therefore resolve to stop making my reds "very red" I don't know what to do about the over exposure, as I have this tendency to try and get my images correctly exposed, but hey - what do I know?

By the way there's a blow up of one of the shots I posted at the top of this post. Be warned - it is "very red" with that colour overexposed, leading to complete blotching out of detail in the highlights.

Funny how I can't see that though. It must be me.

D