Sunday 15 May 2011

A very expensive single lens compact camera.

Leica M9 Zeiss 50mm f/2 Planar T

I have finally got the Leica M9 sensor cleaned properly and it is absolutely pristine. This time I'm not removing the lens. I will be using the camera with the Zeiss 50mm f/2 Planar T* only. Firstly because by not changing lenses I'm hoping that no dust will get into the camera and I won't have spots to clone out. Secondly I really enjoy using it with just the one lens.

Its been a real pleasure to shoot some images with lots of sky, knowing that I won't be spending time on checking them out bit by bit and removing all the spots.

Leica M9 Zeiss 50mm f/2 Planar T*

Leica M9 Zeiss 50mm f/2 Planar T*

Leica M9 Zeiss 50mm f/2 Planar T*

Leica M9 Zeiss 50mm f/2 Planar T*

Is this restricting? no. In fact its a liberation. Since I rarely shoot anything that moves, if I want to get something wider I can shoot multi-images and stitch them together. Plus the images are so good that I can crop into them. I've tried this and its no problem to produce the equivalent of either a 75mm or 90mm lens. Since this is just about the usable limit of a Leica anyway, this 50mm lens should actually be pretty versatile without ever coming off the camera. Add in the fact that its the sharpest lens I've ever used and its going to be very enjoyable using this. I'm hoping that the sensor will remain pristine and if so I will be using the M9 much more than I am currently.

So yes its a very expensive fixed lens compact camera, but one of exceptional quality.