Friday 5 August 2011

Olympus 12mm f/2 - Is this the best m4/3 lens yet? Raw or jpg?

raw

Olympus 12mm f/2 - Is this the best m4/3 lens yet?

Well as far as I'm concerned the answer is yes. Still frustrated by the delay in the release of Adobe Camera raw 6.5 which apparently has support for the E-P3, I mounted the lens on to my E-PL1 and took some tripod mounted shots.

They are original and raw and jpg. conversion crops. I haven't marked which is which because its pretty obvious. 

raw2

Raw or jpg?

What always bewilders me is when you can get that kind of quality from a raw conversion, why would people ever want to shoot jpgs only? Sure, its OK for the really high ISO shots that I posted earlier, because to get rid of the substantial amount of noise that m4/3 cameras in particular generate at these settings, there's no alternative if you want a reasonable image that someone might want to look at.

But when a camera is working at its ultimate, low ISO's, optimum aperture etc. who wouldn't want to squeeze the optimum quality from their files? 

Well lots of people apparently. I've got into blazing rows on internet forums over this, and more or less given up on them because of it. To me if you're serious about photography, you're serious about the quality. The two things go together. If someone says that they can't tell the difference between jpgs and raw and raw is a waste of time, then my reaction is that a) they are doing it wrong b) they need their eyes tested c) they need a new monitor d) a combination of all three. 

The Olympus 12mm f/2 is a superb lens. To not do it justice and create images that benefit from the time and trouble that the Olympus engineers took to create it, strikes me as verging on the criminal. It is my intention to give it the respect it deserves, and in return I'm sure that I will benefit, both in terms of the pleasure I get looking at images created with it, and in the long term financially, from the quality images that I will sell taken with it.

UPDATE

Following on from the wjl comment below. I'm adding the link to the slrgear test.
http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/1444