Friday 5 August 2011

Olympus E-P3 and 12mm f/2 at high ISO's

I decided to do some tests to see just what the high ISO results from the camera / lens combination was like. The E-P3 goes into previously unchartered territory for Olympus, ISO 12,800. I shot some objects around the house in pretty murky light and compared the camera jpgs with a Rawker (dcraw) conversion, which gives the closest indication I can get of the original file. I also did two conversions with the supplied software - Olympus Viewer 2 - one with the noise filter off and one with the noise filter on high.

Here are four comparison files. Click through to flickr and they are full-size, which means they are HUGE.

Be warned - the ISO 12,800 samples are not for the squeamish!!!

ISO 4000
ISO 4000

ISO 5000
ISO 5000

ISO 8000
ISO 8000

ISO 12800
ISO 12800

To be honest they are not as bad as I feared, though I can't really think of much use for the ISO 12,800 setting. It does seem to me that the E-P3 is an improvement on other Olympus cameras however, and they look about the same as the Panasonic GH2 is capable of. I'll do a test against the E-PL1 in a few days, but in the meantime have a look for yourself and see what you think.