Thursday 18 August 2011

Sony NEX-C3 - Review and user experience - Part 10 - Ultra Wide Angle "option"

Sony NEX-C3 Nikon 10-24mm zoom
All images - Sony NEX-C3 Nikon 10-24mm zoom

Sony NEX-C3 Nikon 10-24mm zoom
Anyone wanting a wider lens than 16mm on the NEX system has to look elsewhere than the e-mount range, as there is nothing available. Nor is there anything being planned it seems. Sony users have the a-mount range via adapter, which will give AF.

I used the above manual focus option, a Nikon 10-24mm zoom.

Does it look "wrong"? Well yes, but then many lenses will look "wrong" on a camera as small as the NEX-C3.

It actually handles fine and is not really difficult to work with. Even with DSLR's there are lens heavy combinations and its really no different to that.

Sony NEX-C3 Nikon 10-24mm zoom

All of these pictures were taken at the 10mm end. Again using the focus peaking function, focusing isn't a problem. In fact, its a lot easier than manually focusing a wide angle on m4/3 for example. When just a magnified view is used, it is often very difficult to see what is in focus and what is not with a very wide-angle lens and usually the only way is to open the lens up to its widest aperture. Even then it can be difficult.

Sony NEX-C3 Nikon 10-24mm zoom

With the C3 I can leave it set at the aperture that I want and the focus peaking display still indicates the area(s) of sharp focus clearly and precisely.

I'm using a Nikon G adapter here, which allows for the changing of apertures on lenses with no aperture rings. The ring that adjusts this doesn't move very far and there is no indication of what aperture is being used. I open this up fully to set the aperture at its widest and then use the shutter speed display to work out approximately what aperture I'm using. On a lens like this I will usually set it around what I think is f/8 or thereabouts. 

Sony NEX-C3 Nikon 10-24mm zoom

Sony NEX-C3 Nikon 10-24mm zoom

The results are very good. Again not quite as sharp as with the Voigtlanders or the Nikon primes, but every bit the equal of what I get from this lens with my Nikon bodies. Even though the lens is totally disproportionate to the NEX-C3 body, it is still a much lighter option that using a DSLR. The lens barrel becomes the "body" in terms of handling, and by "cradling" the lens in my hands I can get a very stable set up. Again it would be much more useful to have a viewfinder for this and the NEX-7 may be a much more suitable solution for something like this (assuming all the "leaked" specs. are true.)

Its not ideal, obviously, but it works and it comes up with good results. How much I would use something like this, I cannot say, but its an option that is available if I need it.