Saturday 17 September 2011

Nikon D7000 - Wide and Long

Nikon D7000 55-300mm zoom lens
Nikon D7000 55-300mm zoom lens

Nikon D7000 10-24mm zoom lens
Nikon D7000 10-24mm zoom lens

Its been a while since I've walked a fair distance with something as heavy as the D7000 and 10-24mm and 55-300mm zooms, as I did yesterday. It was interesting to realise that I used to walk around with something like this, and even heavier outfits as a matter of course. Maybe its because I've been using CSC's and my Leica for so long, that it felt so heavy!

However as I've been indicating recently, I've been using the D7000 more and more lately, as I'm enjoying using it so much, if not carrying it!

Nikon D7000 55-300mm zoom lens
Nikon D7000 55-300mm zoom lens

Nikon D7000 10-24mm zoom lens
Nikon D7000 10-24mm zoom lens

I love the instant shutter, the speed of operation, the lack of "fiddling" and trying to get my fingers to work controls that are seemingly designed for someone at least half my size! When I got back to the car, I realised I'd spent the whole aftenoon without looking at the menus or changing any settings. All I did was just change the lenses, and take pictures.

Most times when I use the camera, I take the 16-85mm zoom, and with just that its actually quite manageable. I did want to have a session with these two lenses however, as I haven't used them a lot.

Nikon D7000 10-24mm zoom lens
Nikon D7000 10-24mm zoom lens

I did use the 10-24mm on a Sony NEX-C3 the other day, but on the D7000 it works a dream. Ultra wide angles can be very entertaining to use and can result in lots of images that look great through the viewfinder, but not so good when I look at them later. I did however try to remain restrained in my use of it, and also tried to remember that there were other focal lengths apart from 10mm!

Nikon D7000 10-24mm zoom lens
Nikon D7000 10-24mm zoom lens - Multi Image Panoramic stitch.

I did however use the 55-300mm zoom the most. Its not the greatest lens that Nikon make, and its a bit "ordinary" fully extended, but it does have one hell of a reach. There's no way I'm going to be carrying anything heavier about, and I took a lot of pictures I was very happy with, so I find it a very useful lens. If only it was lighter!

Nikon D7000 55-300mm zoom lens
Nikon D7000 55-300mm zoom lens

Nikon D7000 55-300mm zoom lens
Nikon D7000 55-300mm zoom lens

The D7000 is my favourite camera to use at the moment and I love the combination of wonderful handling, speed of operation and the ridiculously smooth efficiency of the whole process. I also love the eye-popping colour of the files, and the way I can edit them really quickly. I like the fact that after several months of use, and lots of lens changing in some fairly wild weather that there isn't a single dust spot on the sensor. I like the fact that the battery lasts so long that I have to remind myself that I have to charge it up from time to time. Most of all I like the fact that I don't think about the camera when I'm using it, I think about the pictures I'm taking and going to take and maybe I don't like fiddling about with MF lenses as much as I think I do.

Its not that I've suddenly become "DSLR man" again, its that I've become "D7000 man". Apart from a few weeks recently I've always had a DSLR anyway, but certainly in recent years I've never really wanted to use them. With the D7000 currently, I don't want to use anything else, which shows just how good I think it is.

I like it so much, I'm even prepared to tolerate an aching back, though I will be returning to the 16-85mm lens only, for my next trip out with it.

I described it as probably the best camera I've ever owned in a recent post. However I didn't expect it to become the camera I most enjoy using as well. I've not always been Nikons greatest fan, but with the D7000 they have restored my faith in their ability to provide photographers with great photographic tools. Now if they could just do something about the weight!!