Sunday 4 September 2011

Sony NEX-C3 plus Nikon lenses

Sony NEX-C3 Nikon 35mm f/1.8
Sony NEX-C3 Nikon 35mm f/1.8G

Sony NEX-C3 Nikon 85mm f/1.8
Sony NEX-C3 Nikon 85mm f/1.8D

SONY NEX-C3 NIKON 24mm f/2.8
Sony NEX-C3 Nikon 24mm f/2.8D

After trying out the Voigtlander M-Mount lenses with the NEX-C3 yesterday, I looked at how my Nikon primes performed with the Sony sensor. I had shot some images with the 24mm f/2.8 lens a while ago, but was now able to process them in Photoshop ACR.

Sony NEX-C3 Nikon 24mm f/2.8
Sony NEX-C3 Nikon 24mm f/2.8

Sony NEX-C3 Nikon 24mm f/2.8 
Sony NEX-C3 Nikon 24mm f/2.8

These are from the 35mm f/1.8G lens.

Sony NEX-C3 Nikon 35mm f/1.8
Sony NEX-C3 Nikon 35mm f/1.8

Sony NEX-C3 Nikon 35mm f/1.8
Sony NEX-C3 Nikon 35mm f/1.8



These are from the 85mm f/1.8D lens

Sony NEX-C3 Nikon 85mm f/1.8
Sony NEX-C3 Nikon 85mm f/1.8D

Sony NEX-C3 Nikon 85mm f/1.8
Sony NEX-C3 Nikon 85mm f/1.8D

As with the Voigtlanders these lenses produced very sharp results. I'm bound to say, quite significantly sharper than the Sony e-mount lenses I have. They need far less sharpening in post-processing, and show just what the Sony sensor in the NEX-C3 is capable of resolving.

The 24mm f/2.8 and 85mm f/1.8 give me a slighter wider pair of primes and the 35mm f/1.8G gives me a fast standard lens. However the Voigtlanders and the Zeiss "fit" better with the C3 and I suspect will do so with the NEX-7 also. They also have more contrast which I like, though the Nikons are certainly better wide open.

The top shot of the two 35mm f/1.8 ones was shot wide open and thats pretty impressive. I have one of the Nikon > NEX adapters that allows the changing of aperture, but even so its still guesswork. Though it is possible to estimate fairly accurately by observing the shutter speeds.

The Nikons are somewhat bulkier, and the Voigtlanders though somewhat heavy feel much nicer in the hand and being MF lenses are designed for manual focusing. With the Nikons this is a bit of an afterthought. 

However, this has all proved to me that I have some very good lenses that work very nicely with the C3. The focus peaking again proving very useful indeed. I'm not going to decide which to keep as yet, and I may well keep them all. They also work on my m4/3 cameras as the Voigtlanders are designed for my Leica and the Nikons obviously for my Nikon bodies. So I have 2 sets of lenses that work on three cameras. And they all work very well. Thers's no dount in my mind, that even with the advantages in zoom design and construction, its still very difficult to better the results from a well-made prime lens. This is pretty important when a 24MP APS-C sensor is on the horizon.

Sony NEX-C3 Nikon 35mm f/1.8
Sony NEX-C3 Nikon 35mm f/1.8G