Sunday 9 October 2011

Olympus E-PL1 is a great little camera

Olympus E-PL1 45mm f/1.8

With regard to "rationalising" all this gear I have, I looked at my E-PL1 which I bought fairly recently at a knowdown price. (It is incidentally even cheaper now.) I've always liked it, and having had 3 copies of it (so far!) have actually sold an awful lot of pictures with the camera.

Olympus E-PL1 45mm f/1.8

It has ISO 100 which I like. Both my G3 and E-P3 don't have this option. Despite the fact that its basically a software "fudge" as the base ISO is actually 200, it still gives me "cleaner" images than either of my other two m4/3 cameras. The AF speed is fine, and its only marginally slower than the E-P3. I has a nice grip and it fits my nice little leather case.

These were taken a while ago using the 12mm f/2 lens.

Olympus E-PL1 12mm f/2

Olympus E-PL1 12mm f/2

Olympus E-PL1 12mm f/2

I took the shots below with the 45mm f/1.8 lens yesterday.

Olympus E-PL1 45mm f/1.8

Olympus E-PL1 45mm f/1.8

Olympus E-PL1 45mm f/1.8

I like the files this camera produces very much, and because of the ISO 100 setting I actually prefer them to my E-P3. I've actually found a way to interpolate my 12MP m4/3 files up to 18MP (51MB) with excellent sharpness and virtually no increase in noise. This has worked so well, and is the result of long hours of experimentation with exposure and raw processing, that the E-PL1 becomes a very useful camera. I'm not quite at the "holy grail" of getting my Olympus Pen files to look like they were taken on a Leica M9, but I'm getting closer, and beginning to think that it might be possible to achieve something close to that.