Friday 13 January 2012

Samsung NX200 review - Part 16 - 20mm f/2.8 Pancake lens

Samsung NX200 20mm f/2.8 pancake lens
All images - Samsung NX200 20mm f/2.8 pancake lens

Due to the arrival of the Zeiss 24mm and the Sony NEX-7, I never got round to finishing this review by using the 20mm f/2.8 pancake lens on the camera.

I remedied this yesterday, and my feelings are much the same as with the majority of the other Samsung lenses I've used. Its a good solid performer, sharp with good control over CA and fringing. It seems fine regarding distortion and I didn't notice any problems on these images.

Its very small and very light, and though I have this focal length on the 18-55mm zoom, its marginally faster and also has the benefit that it works with my viewfinder workaround, the Voigtlander zoomfinder. So I can compose and take images in my preferred way.

I've already posted my comments on the NX200 in the previous post in this series, and I have no reason to change my mind. I stll feel the NX200 is a "lost opportunity" to produce a camera that could have enhanced Samsungs reputation. A viewfinder doesn't seem that much of a big deal to me, though thats obviously the case for Samsung, and considering they already came up with one for the NX100, I'm really at a loss to understand why they haven't produced one for this, an obviously superior camera.

I will be hanging on to the NX200 for a while, as a backup camera, but once NEX-7's become more available I suspect it will be on its way to ebay to make way for a second NEX-7. A shame since its a decent camera with a great sensor, ultimately let down. I feel, by a lack of vision, commitment and awareness of who might buy it, from Samsung.

Samsung NX200 20mm f/2.8 pancake lens

Samsung NX200 20mm f/2.8 pancake lens

Samsung NX200 20mm f/2.8 pancake lens

Samsung NX200 20mm f/2.8 pancake lens

Samsung NX200 20mm f/2.8 pancake lens