Sunday 19 February 2012

Olympus Colour - OM-D samples

Olympus E-P2 45mm f/1.8
Olympus E-P2 45mm f/1.8

In the past I was never a great fan of Olympus colour, but having worked with it and come up with ways to make it work for me, I now like it very much. I've come up with a raw conversion / photoshop workflow that gives me warm, strong and almost Leica colour which seems to be very popular with the people who buy my pictures.

Olympus E-P2 12mm f/2
Olympus E-P2 12mm f/2

Olympus E-P2 12mm f/2
Olympus E-P2 12mm f/2

Olympus E-P2 45mm f/1.8
Olympus E-P2 45mm f/1.8

On matters Olympus there are some ISO samples from the OM-D here.

 


The high ISO shots are very impressive, and look to have a 2 stop advantage over previous Olympus m4/3 cameras, and at least a 1 stop improvement over the G3 and GX1. If this is a Panasonic sensor, and all indications are that it is, what on earth have Olympus done to it?  More to the point, why haven't Panasonic done the same? If this high ISO performance turns out to be achievable under all circumstances, then I can imagine quite a few opinions and attitudes towards m4/3 as a system are going to change.

The OM-D EM-5 with its fast AF, high speed shooting, built in EVF, 16MP, modular system and now it seems excellent low noise high ISO performance, is sure to turn a few heads. It almost seems too good to be true and I'm waiting until I get my hands on one to see what it can do in the "real world". However this could be one of the most exciting cameras for years. True professional level performance and features in a small light package. Olympus are reluctant apparently to describe it as such, but that means little, since photographers bother less about how cameras are described than the manufacturers and pundits.

If this high ISO performance is able to be replicated, then it suddenly opens up all sorts of possibilities that we m4/3 users thought were beyond our cameras. The kind of results that, it seems, would be possible with the OM-D and lenses such at the 45mm f/1.8 would suggest that m4/3 is moving to another level. One that I will freely admit, I didn't think it could achieve. Interesting times!