Monday 13 February 2012

On the shelf

Panasonic GX1, Olympus E-PL3, Olympus E-P2, Sony NEX-5, Sony NEX-7 Panasonic GX1, Olympus E-PL3, Olympus E-P2, Sony NEX-5, Sony NEX-7
Panasonic GX1, Olympus E-PL3, Olympus E-P2, Sony NEX-5, Sony NEX-7 Panasonic GX1, Olympus E-PL3, Olympus E-P2, Sony NEX-5, Sony NEX-7

My camera shelf is looking somewhat different these days. As you can see I have a bit of a thing for silver CSC's. No DSLR / DSLT, and lots of prime lenses.

I am pretty happy with this lot, who wouldn't be? It does what I want and I enjoy using them all. I mentioned in a previous post about how I don't "love" my NEX-7 or NEX-5n, but I do like them a lot!! The Pens are my favourite, and I'm prepared to work a bit harder with them to get what I want just for the joy of using them. I'm actually becoming very fond of the E-PL3, and because of the layout etc. its a lot easier to use adapted lenses on. 

I'm planning to add an Olympus OM-D to this lot and then suffer all kinds of pangs of guilt about how many unused cameras are sitting there. However with this collection I do want to use them all, and whenever I go out its a real battle as to which one to use. 

Its a bit much, but hey its only money and If I don't use it to have a good time with, what else is it good for? I'm seriously boring in everything else I do, don't drink, smoke, eat a lot, go out much or have a fancy car, so this is my indulgence. The fact that its also my passion and my job gives some justification for it all. It may not last in its current form for very long, but at the moment I'm happy with the collection. 

Kirk Tuck came up with a phrase that went something like - "I don't want to eat steak all the time, sometimes I like Chinese or even hamburger" to explain his flitting from camera system to camera system. I'm much the same, each camera and camera / lens combination offers a new opportunity, a different pallette and an alternative way to record the world. I've still got lots of combinations I haven't tried yet and the prospect of giving them all a go is enticing. 

I'm currently in one of my "no-guilt" phases, having seen off a period of trying to rationalise and get myself down to what I "need". However that was a bit too much of a common sense approach for me and I'm back in a more expansive and experimental state of mind. As you will know this can change on a daily basis, so who knows how I'll feel tomorrow.

But then I've always thought that if you're not prepared to change your mind then life can be a pretty rigid and constricting experience.