Tuesday 13 March 2012

Focus peaking with the Sony NEX-7

In a review of a camera that Andrea at 43rumors linked to, the reviewer was critical of focus peaking, with the statement:- "I like the idea of being able to quickly "approximate" your focus through the focus peaking. This is better implemented for other areas of photography, say, street photography using manual focus lenses ......... I did not say that Focus Peaking was a useless feature, I was just merely saying, it could have been better."

I'm prepared to give the benefit of the doubt here and assume that this person hasn't used the Sony NEX focus peaking feature, though why you would choose to write about it under those circumstances mystifies me.

Getting the best out of focus peaking is a two step process. When used normally it does just give an approximation of what areas are in focus for any given aperture. But when this is combined with the ability to magnify the image in the viewfinder or the screen, this gives an incredibly accurate and precise method of focusing. I've personally found it the most accurate, quickest and useful means of focusing a lens manually that I've ever used. Better than m4/3 and better than the Leica rangefinder system, and indeed better than my own eyes.

Sony NEX-7 a-mount 30mm f/2.8 macro lens LA-EA2 mirrored adapter.
Sony NEX-7 a-mount 30mm f/2.8 macro lens LA-EA2 mirrored adapter

The writer talks about this in the context of taking macro shots. I used the above combination to shoot these. Manually focused and hand held.

Sony NEX-7 a-mount 30mm f/2.8 macro lens LA-EA2 mirrored adapter.

Sony NEX-7 a-mount 30mm f/2.8 macro lens LA-EA2 mirrored adapter.

Sony NEX-7 a-mount 30mm f/2.8 macro lens LA-EA2 mirrored adapter.

Sony NEX-7 a-mount 30mm f/2.8 macro lens LA-EA2 mirrored adapter.

The focus peaking feature nailed the precise focus I wanted every time. By the way these are not the best of a bunch. I only took one shot of each. From my experience its macro work where this feature really comes into its own.

So - "it could have been better" Better in what way?? I get 100% accuracy in manual focusing with the peaking feature on both my NEX-7 and NEX-5n. 

I was moved to write this because I don't want a false impression to be generated. If there were problems with this, I would say so. For me it works in whatever situation I use it in and I repeat it is 100% successful, which is why I've always been so enthusiastic about it.

Finally I wish people would be a little more circumspect with the things that they write and consider whether they have the experience and evidence to support what they say.

Sony NEX-7 a-mount 30mm f/2.8 macro lens LA-EA2 mirrored adapter.