Sunday 11 March 2012

Pining for a Pen

Olympus E-PL3 12mm f/2 lens
Olympus E-PL3 12mm f/2 lens

The bulk of what I've been shooting recently has been with the Sony NEX-7. However from time to time I feel the need to use one of my Olympus Pens and get my m4/3 fix. Yesterday it was the E-PL3 plus 12mm and 45mm lenses. I was using a polarising filter, so left my lens hoods at home. Without those, these two lenses are very small and with the camera make a really light outfit. M4/3 does mostly get the size / weight / quality equation right.

One thing I should mention, that despite my positive write up of the Olympus 12-50mm zoom, these two primes are a good deal sharper. Yes more lens changing and less versatility but superior quality. The 45mm is, as ever, one of the best value lenses you can buy for any camera system. If you own a m4/3 outfit and don't have one of these then you are missing a treat. Its sharp, fast, beautifully made and cheap. 

Olympus E-PL3 45mm f/1.8 lens
Olympus E-PL3 45mm f/1.8 lens

Olympus E-PL3 12mm f/2 lens
Olympus E-PL3 12mm f/2 lens

Olympus E-PL3 12mm f/2 lens
Olympus E-PL3 12mm f/2 lens

Olympus E-PL3 12mm f/2 lens
Olympus E-PL3 12mm f/2 lens