Monday 7 December 2009

More Panoramas

Yesterday I worked with the GF1 fitted with the 20mm F/1.7 & the E-P1 fitted with the Panasonic Leica 45mm. I was shooting mostly multi-image panoramas.
The finished files were of the highest quality. Every bit the equal of anything I've ever used, including a D3X!!
The stitching produces images that can compete with other higher specced cameras in terms of resolution & then its possible to assess just how good these sensors and lenses are.
In good light and at low ISO's this kit is the equal of anything. These two lenses are really quite special. I shot with the Olympus 17mm the day before and while I believe it be a decent lens, the 20mm puts it into the shade. Indeed it puts most lenses there. I stated in a previous post that this may be the best lens I've ever used, which is a sweeping statement, but I have no reason to change my opinion. I do after all have some pretty good Nikon, Zeiss and Voigtlander primes to compare it with.
In combination with the Panasonic sensor, which both cameras have, the results are capable of satisfying the most demanding analysis.
If ever Panasonic decide to make a full-frame version of this sensor, then watch out.
The 45mm is close to the 20mm, and I cannot for the life of me understand where the criticisms of this lens come from. Everything I've shot with it has been superb.

panasonic lumix GF1 + 20mm F/1.7 pancake

gf1 + 20mm F/1.7 pancake.

Right - enough of the fanboyism! Lets try some sensible reflection, which might be of use to others.
1) I do realise that I shoot in a very specific way and the subjects I photograph in the main don't move.
2) I shoot mostly in good light.
3) The above lets me use low ISO and optimum apertures, which will always show a camera/lens combination off at its best.
4) Panoramic stitching allows the creation of images that can achieve a much higher resolution than is possible with single images.
5) The sensor in both these cameras has a weak anti-aliasing filter which will lead to sharper images.

All of the above is true & should be taken into account. There are many kinds of picture taking that micro four thirds won't suit. Low light, action, sports etc. are all better dealt with by DSLR's.
To me its a system that works best for the photographer that has time, and can consider their options. I love the Kevin Spacey Olympus TV ad - with its "I don't want 300,000 images that break my hard drive, I want three that break my heart" message. Ad speak yes, but its not a bad sentiment.

The bottom line is that I'm producing these images to earn my living. I'm in the lucky position of being able to choose, more or less, whatever camera I want to achieve that.(Though the S2 and H4D would require a second mortgage!) I haven't seen anything on my screen that betters what I was looking at yesterday, when I was stitching these images together. For that to be achieved by a system that is so small and light is remarkable.

A

e-p1 + Leica DG Macro Elmarit 45mm f/2.8 ASPH

e-p1 + Leica DG Macro Elmarit 45mm f/2.8 ASPH