Saturday 3 September 2011

Sony NEX-C3 plus Voigtlander and Zeiss lenses

Sony NEX-C3 Voigtlander 28mm f/2]
Sony NEX-C3 Voigtlander 28mm f/2

When I put together my Sony NEX-C3 review I talked about using the C3 with two of my Voigtlander lenses. The 28mm f/2 Ultron and 75mm f/2.5 Heliar. http://soundimageplus.blogspot.com/2011/08/sony-nex-c3-review-and-user-experience_17.html  At the time I wasn't able to use Photoshop ACR to process the images, however I was extremely impressed with the quality and sharpness.

Sony NEX-C3 Voigtlander 75mm f/2.5 Heliar
Sony NEX-C3 Voigtlander 75mm f/2.5 Heliar

Sony NEX-C3 Voigtlander 28mm f/2 Ultron
Sony NEX-C3 Voigtlander 28mm f/2 Ultron

Now that I'm able to use Adobe Camera Raw, I'm even more impressed. 

Sony NEX-C3 Voigtlander 75mm <br />f/2.5 
Sony NEX-C3 Voigtlander 75mm f/2.5

I'm using the NEX-C3 a lot lately. I've already said that I won't be keeping this camera when my NEX-7 arrives and though I love the image quality, I'm still not a fan of the design. However, if the NEX-7 is what I hope its going to be, then a familiarity with the NEX system and getting some idea of what lenses to use with it will be a useful exercise. 

Though for many uses, the e-mount lenses will be fine, it strikes me as a good idea to see what other lenses can produce. It seems crazy not to try and come up with a combination that takes full advantage of all those pixels. Consequently, I've been trying the Voigtlanders again, and next I'm going to be using the Nikon primes I have to see what works best.

Sony NEX-C3 Voigtlander 28mm f/2
Sony NEX-C3 Voigtlander 28mm f/2

Sony NEX-C3 Voigtlander 28mm f/2
Sony NEX-C3 Voigtlander 28mm f/2

Sony NEX-C3 Voigtlander 75mm f/2.5
Sony NEX-C3 Voigtlander 75mm f/2.5

Sony NEX-C3 Voigtlander 28mm f/2
Sony NEX-C3 Voigtlander 28mm f/2

The results from these, and my Zeiss 50mm (see below) are simply superb. Using the focus peaking feature on the NEX-C3 enables precise focus and even without a viewfinder, makes using manual lenses relatively easy. I'm assuming that the NEX-7 will have the focus peaking included, though I haven't seen that it does. 

Below I've put together some samples with 100% blowups to demonstrate just how sharp these m-mount lenses are on the NEX. These are shot with the Voigtlander 28mm and my Zeiss 50mm f/2 T* Planar. I used the same settings that I have saved for the 18-55mm zoom and 16mm f/2.8. In fact the images have ended up over-sharpened, showing that the m-mount primes are somewhat crisper than than the e-mount lenses. I have had to come up with a setting that takes this back a bit.

I'm very impatient to see how they work on the NEX-7, but I guess I'll have to wait, like everybody else.

Sony NEX-C3 Zeiss 50mm f/2 T* Planar
Sony NEX-C3 Zeiss 50mm f/2 T* Planar

Sony NEX-C3 Zeiss 50mm f/2 T* Planar
Sony NEX-C3 Zeiss 50mm f/2 T* Planar

Sony NEX-C3 Voigtlander 28mm f/2
Sony NEX-C3 Voigtlander 28mm f/2

Sony NEX-C3 Voigtlander 28mm f/2
Sony NEX-C3 Voigtlander 28mm f/2