Saturday 3 September 2011

The "wrong" gear - Sony NEX-7 video

Sony NEX-C3 18-55mm
Sony NEX-C3 18-55mm

Ever selected your camera(s) and lens(es) thinking you are going to be shooting one thing and then you end up shooting something else? That happened to me yesterday. I was planning to be shooting in the grounds and garden of a stately home, but due to an unexpected closure, I ended up shooting landscape and some neolithic standing stones, including a rather stiff walk uphill. 

The NEX-C3 + 18-55mm zoom and the Leica M9 + 50mm I had with me would have worked very well for the situation I thought I was going to be in, but the lack of anything longer than the 55mm end of the zoom was not what I would have chosen for where I ended up.

Leica M9 50mm f/2
Leica M9 Zeiss 50mm f/2 T* Planar

However, I had to work with what I had. I ended up using the Sony most of the time, and towards the top of the hill I climbed I was regretting bringing the Leica. They look small and light but are actually quite heavy, and by the end of the day it was weighing heavily on my shoulder.

Leica M9 50mm f/2
Leica M9 Zeiss 50mm f/2 T* Planar

Sony NEX-C3 18-55mm
Sony NEX-C3 18-55mm

Sony NEX-C3 18-55mm
Sony NEX-C3 18-55mm

Hopefully, the decision of what to take me with me could be soon simplified somewhat. I'm  looking forward to seeing what the Sony NEX-7 I have on order can offer me. I'm really keen that this could lead to a huge rationalisation of what I'm using at the moment. If it does "what it says on the tin" then the combination of size, weight, image quality, file size, high ISO performance and handling could result in a lot of what I have on the shelf going off to ebay.

With that in mind I was interested to see this video that shows what its like to handle the camera.