Wednesday 1 February 2012

Sony NEX-7 and the "big one"

P1030240
Sony NEX-7 18-200mm e-mount zoom lens

P1030236

This lens illustrates what many see as the flaw in the Sony NEX system, small bodies / large lenses. However it is a superzoom with built-in image stabilisation, and even on m4/3 these aren't small. In practice it handles well, and even though as you can see, it won't even sit flat because of the barrel being so large, as an all-in-one solution, its (sort of) unique. (Tamron now make one as well, but the suspicion is that Tamron made this one as well, and since they are part-owned by Sony, that makes sense.)

I tried it on the NEX-5n and thought it performed OK, with all the usual superzoom problems. i.e. CA, fringing, distortion, softish at the telephoto end. I hadn't until today tried it on the NEX-7, and I wasn't expecting anything that great, as I suspected that all those extra pixels would show up its deficiences.

_DSC2041

_DSC2073

However despite my pessimism, it actually performed very well. Shooting raw files and using the Photoshop lens profile for the lens, I was impressed by the fact that the images were very "clean" and relatively free of CA / fringing. The lens doesn't have biting clarity, but the files sharpened up very nicely in Photoshop with very little increase in noise, and overall I was surprised by just how well it paired up with the NEX-7. 

I should also mention that the IS works very well indeed, which considering I took these in an icy wind was a good thing.

I've put these on flickr at full resolution so click on them > flicker > Actions > View all sizes > Original gets you the jpg. I created. I have sharpened them for picture / library reproduction use and they are at jpg 8. This is exactly how they would sell on picture / stock library sites. As ever please be aware that these are © images and will probably end up on stock sites soon. I am happy for you to have a look at them but any other use is prohibited, and its Getty's lawyers, not mine, that will come after you!!

_DSC2070

_DSC2065

_DSC2031

_DSC2061

_DSC2053

Sony NEX-7 18-200mm zoom lens

Sony NEX-7 18-200mm zoom lens