Saturday 6 February 2010

Testing two lenses

Panasonic Lumix GH1 Olympus 14-42 lens

Olympus 14-42 kit zoom fitted to a Panasonic GH1.

Due to various spells of buying and selling I don't have a 14-45mm kit lens for my Panasonic G-series cameras. But I do have an Olympus 14-42. I have bought two in kits with both the the E-P1 and E-P2. I normally sell on these kit lenses as they are very cheap in the kits and can usually be sold on ebay for more than the cost price, thus helping offset the cost of the camera.
The one I have at the moment must have cost me about £30. I've tried it on the E-P2 and it performed well. I must admit I liked the results more than the 17mm f2.8 I bought with the E-P1.
I wondered what it would be like on my GH1, so took it out yesterday for a critical test, tripod and all.
I was very impressed and surprised at how good it was. Olympus have a good reputation for kit lenses (as do Panasonic of course) and this is no exception.
Its always struck me as an ugly little thing with its extending barrel reminding me of a pointless and shoot. But its a good little performer, and will probably be staying for a while.

Panasonic Lumix GH1 Olympus 14-42 lens

Panasonic Lumix GH1 Olympus 14-42 lens

Panasonic Lumix GH1 Olympus 14-42 lens

Panasonic Lumix GH1 Olympus 14-42 lens

Nikon 55-200G lens and Novoflex Nikon G > m4/3 adapter with GH1

Went out yesterday to try the Nikon 55-200G DX VR zoom with the Novoflex adapter for G series Nikon lenses with no aperture rings. I used My GH1 and a tripod.
I wanted to see how the lens performed at different apertures and how the adapter worked.
Firstly I was a bit disappointed with the lens at small apertures. With a lens this long, apertures like f16 and f22 come into play with the need to maximise DOF. However it didn't perform terribly well at those apertures, or my guesstimate of those apertures since there's no way to tell using the adapter.
The lens is actually very good wide open & nice and crisp even at 200mm.

The adapter was OK to use in practice & the stepless aperture ring has a smooth turning action.

I will see what its like to use hand-held in my next test.

Panasonic Lumix GH1 Nikon 55-200G DX VR lens using a Novoflex Nikon G > m4/3 adapter

Panasonic Lumix GH1 Nikon 55-200G DX VR lens using a Novoflex Nikon G > m4/3 adapter

Panasonic Lumix GH1 Nikon 55-200G DX VR lens using a Novoflex Nikon G > m4/3 adapter

Panasonic Lumix GH1 Nikon 55-200G DX VR lens using a Novoflex Nikon G > m4/3 adapter

Panasonic Lumix GH1 Nikon 55-200G DX VR lens using a Novoflex Nikon G > m4/3 adapter

Words - D
Pictures - D & A